The Great Lakes Council of Fly Fishers International is proud to present the 2019 Great Lakes Fly Fishing Show on Saturday, December 7, 2019 from 9am to 5pm at the DeltaPlex Arena in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
You are all cordially invited to come to the show. This is a new venue for us and we are excited about how this is shaping up. (click for details)
- There will be presentations from renowned river guides Kevin Feenstra, Ray Schmidt, and Brian Pitser. And we are especially honored to have MSU researchers Emily Dean and Nicole Watson on-hand to present their fisheries research including the latest on Grayling in Michigan.
- Come and see expert fly tiers from Michigan and Indiana tie their favorite patterns for all species or fish.
- Vendors will be there with a variety of fly fishing gear and rod manufacturer representatives will be on-hand to discuss the latest in rod technology at their booths.
- Want to cast a rod or two? Come on over to the indoor casting pond and discover your new favorite rod just in time for Christmas. Fly shops will be on hand so you can be sure to have that rod under the tree.
- There will also be raffles, a full concession booth, and beer!
We hope to see you at the show!
Gary Lindquist Show Chairman
9:30am – Kevin Feenstra presents baitfish in Michigan streams and rivers. His presentation has some amazing underwater photography of baitfish and prey in their natural environment.
10:45am – Ray Schmidt presents adventures fishing in exotic destinations such as Argentina, Chile, and Alaska. Ray has recently retired (again) but is ready to start a new venture in outfiitting anglers with the trip of a lifetime. This his first show presenting the ins and out of fly fishing these amazing destinations.
12:00 noon – Brian Pitser presents the four seasons of fly-fishing northern Michigan. From the Northern Angler fly shop out of Traverse City Brian plies the trout waters of the Boardman, Betsie, and Manistee rivers for Trout, Salmon and Steelhead to flats-style fishing Grand Traverse bays for monster carp and smallmouth bass.
1:30pm – Emily Dean, MSU PhD student presents her research on stream restoration specifically as it pertains to spawning habitat for migratory trout and salmon.
2:45pm – Nicole Watson, MSU PhD student presents the latest information on the restoration of Grayling to Michigan rivers. This is sure to be of interest to all the cold-water enthusiast that are anxious to see the restoration of these beautiful fish to our northern Michigan waters.
Fly tiers from across the State and northern Indiana will be on hand demonstrating the art of tying that perfect fly. Don’t be afraid to ask for pointers on how these folks tie flies. Many will even give you an up-close view of the techniques and materials they use. And remember fly shops will be on hand with the materials and equipment needed to get you started tying your own flies. They are also a wealth of information if you are looking for a new hobby to while away the long winter nights.
For the first time we will have a casting pond indoors at the show. Here’s your opportunity to cast some of the latest rods as manufacturer representatives will be on hand with the very latest in fly rod and reels. And the fly shops will be on hand to outfit you with that new rod just in time for Christmas.
There will be a 50/50 raffle and bucket raffles for a float trip, fly rod, Renzetti fly tying vice, and artwork.
- Doors open to the public at 9am and closes at 5pm
- Date is Saturday, December 7, 2019
- Adults: $10
- Kids 12-17: $5
- Kids under 12: Free
- Parking: $5
DeltaPlex Arena in Grand Rapids, MI
2500 Turner Ave NW, Grand Rapids, MI